Saturday, January 21, 2012

How We Accidentally Grew Up.

Denise and I took two giant leaps into adulthood a week ago, after we had a conversation with my parent's financial advisor. Well I suppose it's three leaps, since talking to a financial advisor is, in and of itself, already pretty grown up. The first thing we accidentally did months ago; the second thing we did yesterday.

1. Apparently we accidentally got married...sort of. While we were filing our taxes, we clicked a teeny tiny little box online that said we were common law. Our understanding had been that after a couple lives together for a certain amount of time, they're automatically common law, so we just figured we were being honest. Plus it gave us a bit more money back.

"Would you like to click this little box that has no explanation of the gravity of this decision on your future?" "Sounds AWESOME!"

So we asked the financial advisor about the possibility of a prenuptual agreement. We didn't really want one, but were curious to see what that entailed. He then informed us that we can't get a prenuptual agreement anyways.

"You're already nup'd," he said. He then informed us that for all intents and purposes we're married, and our credit reflects that. If we were to break up now, we would have to notify the government.

Holy balls. This really doesn't change anything, but we were astonished that such a large decision can happen just by clicking a box. But here we are, already nup'd, with a wedding on the way. Really, we're just getting married twice, for good measure.
2. We were also informed that the money we spend insuring our lines of credit with the bank are not really insurance. If I were to die, they could look at my lifestyle and say that they would never have insured me if yadda yadda yadda. Plus we're paying too much. So we got actual life insurance.

I have life insurance. How messed is that? When did I become George Bailey?

Nooooooooooope nope nope nope nope nope.
The process to get the life insurance was a bit of a pain in the ass, but it is strangely comforting to know that my family and nup'd fiance will get oodles of money if something were to happen to me.

Anyways, we grew up and had no intention of doing so. I guess between being betrothed, being an uncle, and having married friends, I'd best get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment