Monday, April 9, 2012

OMG PLAYOFFS!!1!

It’s the greatest time of the year, even if neither the Leafs nor the Jets are involved: the NHL playoffs. As I do every year, and fail miserably at it, I hereby make a few predictions.



Winner: Pittsburgh Penguins
Runner up: Vancouver Canucks
Dark Horse: Nashville Predators
Who will disappoint: New York Rangers
Who might surprise: Los Angeles or Ottawa




New York Rangers vs. Ottawa Senators

This one’s a little baffling, inasmuch as I hate the Senators and they haven’t done anything I’ve predicted of them all year. I think the Sens will give Rangers a bit of a shock here and there, as they have all year long with teams who underestimated them, but ultimately the Rangers should take it.

Rangers in seven


Boston Bruins vs. Washington Capitals

The only reason why Boston might lose is because they could have the Stanley Cup Hangover, though I suspect fatigue won’t show until later rounds. This shouldn’t be a difficulty.

Boston in four


Florida Panthers vs. New Jersey Devils

File this under the “I Could Give a Shit” category. I’ll cheer for Florida because they haven’t been to the playoffs in forever, and because I don’t like the Devils, but Florida just isn't as good as New Jersey.

Devils in four.


Philadelphia Flyers vs Pittsburgh Penguins

This might be the best series of the entire playoffs. Holy these two teams hate each other and they’re both fantastic. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this. Ultimately, I think a hungry Sidney Crosby puts them over the top, plus Flyers goaltending is suspect.

Pittsburgh in six




Vancouver Canucks vs. Los Angeles Kings

This, besides the Senators series, has the largest potential to be an upset, I think. I don’t know why LA isn’t better than they are: they have unreal goaltending, good defense, and a forward group that should score more than it does. That being said, there’s a reason Vancouver almost won the Cup last year, and why they won the President’s Trophy this year. Let us hope that Canucks fans keep calm, and avoid blaming the referees for everything ever.

Canucks in five.


San Jose Sharks vs St. Louis Blues

Also filed under the “Don’t Care” category. St. Louis has had an unbelievable run, and their goaltending is remarkable, but I wonder how that will translate to the playoffs. I’m gonna go with San Jose’s experience here, even though they limped into the playoffs. Last year they played with heart, though they were outmatched by the Canucks.

San Jose in seven.


Phoenix Coyotes vs Chicago Blackhawks

Don’t know much about Coyotes, other than their goalie is pretty good. Chicago is an exciting team to watch, but their goaltending ain’t great, and hopefully Toews can come back to help them out.

Chicago in six


Nashville Predators vs. Detroit Red Wings

The second best series of the first round, after Flyers-Penguins. Lots of great narratives here, the up and coming Nashville who’re hungry to win, and Detroit who just never stop winning ever, even though they have an average age of 45 or something. Should be great hockey, but I think Nashville is too talented and focused for Detroit to overcome.

Nashville in six.


So there we have it. I’m wrong more often than I’m right, but who cares. PLAYOFFS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment